For riveting summer reading, I recommend the excellent book, Return to Modesty, by Wendy Shalit. Here are a few nuggets of truth that she bravely illuminated:
- Changing promiscuity in society must come through women, as life comes through her. Women have the eternal feminine power to spiritualize mankind.
- If women want men to be good—they must be good.
- Modesty is infinitely more than what we wear. It is a way of thinking and being. It emerges from a deep vision of one’s own worth.
- When the wind blows, all women are overwhelmed by the natural instinct of modesty to hunch over and pin their skirts down. Embarrassment in exposing one’s body is actually a wonderful signal that something isn’t quite right.
- Immodest dress and conduct is offensive to those who value modesty.
- Society teaches and values independence ahead of virtue.
- In former days, modesty gave women freedom to withhold affection until a virtuous man came around. Men were inspired to become worthy of her.
- Modesty is about knowing, protecting, and directing passion to something higher.
- Rather than treating men as animals, modesty invites men to act honorably.
- What is truly beautiful in a woman is her charity, mercy, and grace. An indicator of true manhood is acting with honor—not scoring conquests.
If you agree with these points, you’ll love this book.