What does this scripture mean to you? “For as [a man] thinketh in his heart, so is he” (Proverbs 23:7). We understand that thoughts are a constant part of our waking hours. Even though fleeting, they can influence us and will shape our character in some fashion. For those who are striving to improve their lives and follow the example of the Savior, here is a list of helpful tips from the New Era:
- Indulging in impure thoughts can lead to hard-to-break thought patterns. Reject a bad thought as soon as it comes into your mind, and it will be easier to do so the next time.
- Avoid watching, listening to, or reading any material that contains profanity, swearing, pornography, or other improper content.
- Make sure you choose your surroundings carefully and that your activities inspire good thoughts.
- Pray. The Lord can help you overcome any problem you have, including unclean thoughts.
- Your speech reflects your thoughts, so a pure mind will also help you to keep your language clean. Remove yourself from situations where people are gossiping or using profane or vulgar language.
- Keep your thoughts clean to help you stay morally clean. Unclean thoughts make giving in to temptation much easier.